Monday, November 7, 2011

Move your right brain, move your left brain

Weaving is like that.  It's a process with discreet steps, and each one must be followed with care and in order.  That's the left brain part.  But most of those steps are, within themselves, repetitive - one might say meditative.  That's the right brain part. 

There's a great deal that must be done before warp ever meets weft: measuring the warp, sleying the reed, threading the heddles, beaming on.  And before that there's design - color, texture, pattern.

Last summer on my fiber stay-cation, I planned a project based on Monet's water lillies paintings.  I dyed the yarn and measured the warp.   





For  day seven of Art Every Day Month, I sleyed the reed.It doesn't look like much, but it's a step along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Having just warped a card-weaving set, picked about 8-10 inches, decided it was *completely* a loss, cut the offending bit off the loom, reclaimed 2 of the 3 colors from the warp, researched the *correct* pattern, measured the new 3rd color, and warped half the new pattern, WOW can I relate to the left AND right brain nature of weaving! What in the world took me so long to spend time on a loom?

    And the photo today is GORGEOUS. Those yarns are really fantastic, and very evocative! :) I cannot wait to see how this piece develops.

    ReplyDelete